Monday, June 16, 2008

Helsinki & Home





Posted by Julie (from home sweet home)

Friday was our last day in Finland and we spent it exploring the beautiful capital city of Helsinki. Jarmo, our host for the day, took us to Kiasma, the modern art museum, first. The name of the exhibit was "I just don't get it," which was very appropriate. We also visited the Design Museum. I wanted to buy every piece of furniture and lighting that I saw. After getting our fill of Finnish art, we went to lunch and then parted ways. Kari, Patti and I went shopping and Mary went to a travel agent to make her arrangements for Estonia, Sweden, Denmark and Germany. The girls and I went into the cathedral and took the lift down to the crypt where there was a cafe and art exhibit. In the square outside the church there was a festival celebrating Karelian culture and art. We did some shopping and then, of course, had to have some ice cream. After we met up with Mary, we walked down to the harbor and up to the Russian Orthodox church. On the way, we spotted a structure fire and stopped to watch the firefighters in action. The fire was right next door to the presidential palace, so there was a lot of action outside. We had to hold Kari back from running into the burning building to offer her services.

After our day in Helsinki, Jarmo took us to our hotel where we met Kyosti and Seneca for dinner. It was sad to leave our most gracious hosts, but our last sauna together made us feel a little better.

Mary walked us to the bus stop at 5:30 on Saturday morning like the fabulous team leader/mom she is. We had smooth sailing to Paris aside from a two year old throwing a temper tantrum and yelling aiti (mom in Finnish) over and over again for an hour. All I can say is, "Thanks for the ear plugs, Kari!" We hit a couple more bumps in Paris when we were yanked out of the boarding line and grilled by security. Word of advice: When asked where you're coming from, answer quickly. The French apparently do not like delayed responses. Two or three movies later, we were home. I think it's safe to say that we were all overjoyed to be back.

For me, our homecoming was bitter sweet. I will miss my days with Kari, Patti and Mary. I can't think of three other women I would have wanted to travel with for 30 days. The people we met, things we saw, and experiences we shared together may never come to pass again and I will forever treasure the memories we created. I love you guys!

Moi Moi!

Julie

No comments: